JULY 7, 2015 — Esbjerg, Denmarked, headquartered offshore safety and support specialist Esvagt is getting new owners. Two international infrastructure investors, 3i Infrastructure plc and AMP Capital, are acquiring the company for around $610 million from Maersk Group and ESE-Holding A/S.
Esvagt was founded in 1981 by ESE-Holding A/S to offset unemployment in the fishing industry. In 1991 the Maersk Group bought 50% of the company and in 1998 increased that to 75%. The remaining 25%
JULY 7, 2015 — Fincantieri reports that yesterday the Prosecutor's Office of Gorizia ordered the release of areas of the Monfalcone shipyard that had been closed as part of an investigation into alleged improper disposal of shipyard waste ( see earlier story ).
Fincantieri said that production workers at the yard would be resuming work as of today and thanked "the Government, the institutions and all those who in recent days have spoken out in favor of the
JULY 6, 2015 — A fisheries research vessel being built for the Shanghai Ocean University by China's Tianjin Xingang shipyard will be the first fisheries research vessel world-wide to use the Voith Schneider Propeller (VSP) propulsion concept. It is also the first offshore order Voith has received from a Chinese customer.
The 81.6 m x 14. 2 m research vessel is equipped with two 28R5 ECS/234-2 Voith Schneider Propellers and has two electric motors with an
JULY 6, 2015 — Shipbuilder Singapore Technologies Marine last week held the launching ceremony for the Independence, the first Littoral Mission Vessel (LMV) in a series of eight for the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN).
The first in class vessel was launched by Mrs. Ivy Ng, wife of the Minister for Defense, Dr. Ng Eng Hen at ST Marine's Benoi shipyard.
ST Marine won the contract to design and build eight LMVs for the RSN in
JULY 6, 2015 — The U.S. Army's US Military Surface Deployment Distribution Command (SDDC) 596th Transportation Brigade has accepted delivery of a Fast Response Fire-Fighting Vessel under a contract for design and construction of the vessel placed with New Orleans, LA, based Technology Associates, Inc. (TAI). It was fabricated at subcontractor Aluma Marine in Harvey, LA.
"This vessel design and build program was delivered ahead of schedule and with zero change orders," said Anil Raj, President
JULY 6, 2015 — Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division has presented National Merit Scholarships to the children of five employees Wednesday. The National Merit Scholars will each receive $2,000, renewable for up to four years as long as the scholarship criteria are met.
"For more than a half century, the National Merit Scholarship Corporation has been the leader in identifying scholastically talented young women and men and supporting their educational goals," said Ingalls Shipbuilding
JULY 6, 2015 — A major cross-industry initiative led by MAN Diesel & Turbo, Wärtsilä, and Winterthur Gas & Diesel, to develop basic technologies for use in two stroke and four stroke marine engines has been officially launched.
The Hercules-2 project is aimed at fostering environmentally sustainable and more efficient shipping. It is in line with general European Union policy and is partly funded by the EU.
In all, 32 marine industry partners from 11 different
JULY 3, 2015 — BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards Mayport LLC, Jacksonville, FL, is being awarded a $26,828,516 firm-fixed-price contract for the phased maintenance availability of USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7).
The contract includes options that, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value to $32,644,089.
The work package consists of structural and tank repairs, ventilations and auxiliary systems repairs, temporary services habitability preservations, structural preservations, ship alterations, and miscellaneous repairs.
JULY 3, 2015 — China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) has taken delivery of Asia's first purely LNG fueled tugboat, Hai Yang Shi You 525.
The first of two tugs built by the Zhenjiang shipyard for CNOOC, Hai Yang Shi You 525 features a propulsion package based on twin Rolls-Royce Bergen C26:33L9PG engines and a pair of Rolls-Royce US 205 CP azimuth thrusters.
The US 205 CP thrusters ensure the tugs have rapid maneuvering and strong
JULY 3, 2015 — Christopher J. Wiernicki, Chairman, President and CEO of ABS, is now also Chairman of IACS, the International Association of Classification Societies. He took over the role yesterday at the end of the 71st session of the IACS Council, succeeding Philippe Donche-Gay, Executive Vice President and head of Marine & Offshore, Bureau Veritas.
"IACS, and the industry at large, will continue to reap the rewards of Philippe's leadership," noted Mr. Wiernicki.